Redacted

Savage Night
Jim Thompson
The Buntline Special
Mike Resnick
Drive - James Sallis Another book about a getaway driver, DRIVE is a tightly written, dirty, gritty fast read. Sallis is an excellent writer who really focused on character development somewhat at the expense of the rather thin plot. There were some brilliant turns of phrase in this book and the non-linear narrative style worked for me, though it might not work for everyone. I was hooked from the first sentence, one somewhat reminiscent of an old Parker book;

"Much later, as he sat with with his back against an inside wall of a Motel 6 just north of
Phoenix, watching the pool of blood lap toward him, Driver would wonder whether he had made a terrible mistake."

This book works so well at so many levels and I so want it to be brilliant. Alas, it is flawed. There is no explanation for the awesome death dealing skillz displayed by driver who, as far as we are ever told, "just drives" nothing else. Some of the plot points are a bit too convenient for my liking. In the end, I suppose, this book was never about the plot, it was always about the enigmatic character known to us only as "Driver". All in all the book works, it just could have been better. Sallis is a gifted writer whom I will be checking out in the future.